anchor text

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Welted Peerie Shawl

Honestly, I do not know how did I let this go for so long. I mean: not posting here. So much happened and now it is a long line of posts waiting to show up. I am going to start at the end of this line.
This week you will see the new Spring 2013 issue of Knit.Wear magazine on the news stands everywhere. My design Welted Peerie Shawl is on page 98. I love the photos made by Interweave Press. 


Description Inspired by vast meadows of Russia this shawl combines geometric triangular shapes and Orenburg shawl lace technique. It is worked from a neck down with a common increasing technique that creates a triangular shape. Simple eyelet stripes gradually increase the width and give a way to a Little Berry pattern. A traditional Orenburg shawl border is knit separately and sewn to finish this gentle shawl.

Finished Size 52” [132cm] wide and 21” [51cm] tall at center point after blocking

Yarn Anzula Cloud (80% superwash merino, 10% cashmere, 10% nylon; 575 yd [525m]/100 g): seaside 1 skein.

Needles Size 3 (3.25 mm) 32” circular (cir). Adjust needle size if necessary to obtain the correct gauge.

I designed this shawl on my needles. This means that the normal process of designing that includes calculating, charting, thinking through ahead of times was bypassed. The only thing I knew is the technique I wanted to use: Russian Orenburg lace. The yarn was so beautiful and soft and I knew that it is going to be very pretty, although the weight of it is not what is normally used for such shawl. 
I tried a few stitch patterns, but settled for a simple, somewhat geometric design. The more I progressed the more sure I was that I made a good choice. The yarn was changing its color very gently and was not at all interfering with the stitch pattern. The border is made separately and sewn to the edge of the shawl. 
I am going to make me another one, so I can have it. Usually, I do not get my samples back.  Before I sent the shawl to the magazine, I took some photos of my model wearing it. She loved it. You can see it in her eyes.  









2 comments:

Angela Davis said...

It is a beautiful design! I love that you were inspired by Russian fields. Now I have to knit one too!

Faina Goberstein said...

You are so sweet, Angela. We need to talk.