anchor text

Sunday, May 8, 2011

My two new designs for MORE KNITTING IN THE SUN

Today is my turn to brag about the two designs I contributed to this lovely book.

This is a collection of 32 designs for kids. Beautiful photography, cutest kids and abundance of great designs. Kristi Porter (read her interview on The Designer's Studio) has asked all of the designers to name their designs after a favorite fictional character from a children's book or a fairy tale. Since I lived in Russia as a child, my favorite characters have Russian names.

MASHENKA
(In Russian N is soft in this case, so it is read like MasheƱka)
This name is used in quite a few Russian fairy tales. One of them is a Russian version of Goldyilocks. Naturally I loved her and she is a part of my childhood.
This is a contemporary look of MasheƱka as I see it.

Information about the pattern:

Difficulty: (Intermediate)
Skills Used: basic increasing and decreasing, lace knitting, crocheting

SIZE 2 (4, 6, 8, 10, 12)
The sample is shown in size 4.

MATERIALS

[MC] Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino (55% wool, 33% microfiber, 12 % cashmere; 125 m per 50g skein); color: white # 100; 4 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) skeins

[CC] Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino (55% wool, 33% microfiber, 12 % cashmere; 125 m per 50g skein); color: pink # 014; 1 (1, 1, 1, 2, 2) skeins

24-inch US 4/3.5 mm circular needle

US E-4/3.5 mm crochet hook

GAUGE

25 sts/ 34 rows = 4" in stockinette stitch (after blocking)

27sts/ 28rows = 4” in Vine Lace (after blocking)

NATKA

This design was named after my favorite character of one of the books I liked when I was about 10 years old. This girl was at a children's summer camp and was very outgoing and clever.
This design is an open work cardigan that combines two lace patterns. One is a vertical pattern and the other one is resulting on a bias. I switched the second pattern's direction at the centers of front and back to produce a V-lines. This made the cardigan look very interesting. I can see this design made out of many different yarns and colors.
Difficulty: (Intermediate to Advanced)

Information about the pattern:

Skills Used: Lace knitting, chart reading, decreasing in lace pattern.

SIZE 2 (4, 8, 10, 12)

FINISHED MEASUREMENTS
Chest circumference: 21 (23, 26.5, 28, 30) inches
Length: 7.5 (8.5, 11, 12, 13) inches
The sample is shown in size 10.

MATERIALS
Berocco Vintage (50% Acrylic
40% Wool, 10% Nylon; 217 yds/198 m per 3.5 oz/ 100g skein); color: Misty # 5113; 2 (2, 3, 3, 4) skeins

24-29 inch US 6/4.0 mm circular needle

GAUGE
22 sts / 32 rows = 4" in Rickrack Lace (after blocking)