anchor text

Monday, May 31, 2010

BOOK REVIEW: KNITTING BRIOCHE

If you read my DS interview with Nancy Marchant, the author of Knitting Brioche, you know that I am a huge fan of brioche family of stitches. Although I use these stitches since I was about 10 years old, I always was looking for a reference book that covers decreases, increases, and more advanced techniques in these simple to knit yet complicated when you want to shape your working piece stitches.
When Nancy's book came out, I was thrilled. The subtitle of this book is The Essential Guide to the Brioche Stitch. It really sums it up. There are 5 chapters in this book: Working Brioche Stitch Using One Color, Working Brioche Stitch Using More than One Color, Brioche Stitchionary, The Design Elements of Brioche Knitting, and Projects.
The names of these chapters are self-explanatory. You will find that this book can be used on many different levels. You can be introduced to brioche and learn how to knit these stitches from it. In case you are familiar with this family of stitches, you will learn more technique-wise and see brioche in work when you are making some of the wonderful designs offered by the author.
My favorite part of this book is incredible photo illustrations. Everything looks so doable and not intimidating. First 172 pages of the book are devoted to techniques and suggestions, learning the chart symbols, trying different stitches, working with a single color, or mixing a few colors in your work. I also appreciated a little history note. I love to know the origin of the craft. Here is something that I appreciated since I own some Delft Blauw. This hat is one of 25 designs in the book and is called Delft's Blauw. There are many interesting and very inspiring designs that show brioche in its best. This is definitely a keeper for me. It has found its place on my shelf among the classics in knitting. Thank you, Nancy for this gift to any knitter.

No comments: