anchor text

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The story of the Spring Twilight Pullover

On March 2nd the new Spring issue of Interweave Knits is going to hit the shelves everywhere in USA and shortly after that in many other countries. This is what makes it particularly exciting for me when I have a design published in this magazine. From the moment I got the word that my design was accepted to this point a good few months passed. Right from the beginning I knew what this pullover will look like. Here is my sketch for it. This time the yarn Kidsilk haze by Rowan reminded me of a cozy time before evening sets in. It's the time when you want to put on something light, warm, feminine, cozy, and a little more than casual.The combination of mohair and silk helps to achieve that feeling and what this design represents. The elements of this sweater, like the Decorative Cast-on that is not used very much here in the US, but is popular in Europe, make it different. With this cast-on the edge of a garment looks scallopy and very attractive. Another thing I used in this project is the lacy pattern based on a work with dropped stitches. This is the same stitch pattern that I used for my Lacy Scarf in the book. When I combined this special cast-on, ruching, and open work pattern to make a wide edging it became my favorite part of this design. I had pictures taken earlier when my Monique was wearing it. So, you can see both versions here. I love the back on this photo.
I love to knit in the round as much as possible. This thin yarn shows all the stitch manipulations too well, so knitting in the round even sleeves and use different needle sizes to taper towards the waist line and back to the original circumference without changing the number of sts was my solution for this part. I am very happy with the result and proud of this publication. I hope to see many projects done by other people when they get the magazine. Here is the part that did not get published due to space issue. I made a flower pin that can be attached to the collar for a different look.










If you like the flower pin, follow these instructions to make it.

Yarn: Rowan Kidsilk Haze (70% super kid mohair, 18% silk; 227 yd [208m]/25g): #600 dewberry (MC) less than half a ball of each color.

Notions: bar pin(used Jewelry Essentials Findings by Horizon group USA Hirschberg Schultz &Co., Inc).
This is for the back of flower. Bar pin has an adhesive top. I bought it in Michael’s. 24 bars in the box, but they come in 12 per box as well. Hirschberg Schultz &Co.,Inc’s address 76 Stirling Road, Warren, NJ 07059 in case you need it)

FLOWER

With CC and largest cir needle loosely CO 80 sts.
With MC and size 8 cir needle work as foll:
Row 1: (WS) Purl.
Row 2: (RS) K1f&b to last 14 sts, k14.
Row 3: BO 14 sts, purl to end – 66 sts.
Row 4: Knit to end.
Row 5: BO 4 sts, purl to end – 62sts.
Row 6: Knit to last 32 sts, *k2tog; rep from * to end – 46 sts.
Row 7: BO 4 sts, p2tog 14 times, p14 – 32 sts.
Row 8: K12, *k2tog; rep from * to end – 22 sts.
Row 9: BO 8 sts, *p2tog; rep from * to end – 15 sts.
Cut yarn and thread long tail through rem sts.
Block and facing RS roll the obtained strip counter clockwise first round (1 1/2 in diameter), flip to WS and repeat the circular motion, making diameter smaller each time. Sew all layers together. Glue the foundation of the flower to the top of bar pin and correct the layers so it looks like a flower.

2 comments:

IrkaDblrka said...

Faina, congratulations! The sweater is absolutely gorgeous and so feminine!

Faina Goberstein said...

Thank you very much. I loved to work with this yarn.