anchor text

Friday, January 29, 2010

My first weekend at home

I can't tell you how happy I am to be at home during this weekend. It is the end of the first week of school. This means that the next week all of us - students and instructors will get into the normal routine and things will calm down. No more students begging to add the class that is overflowing as it is and no more talking about the policy of the class (I honestly hate to do this). It also means that I can relax a little when I get home. Even with the stress at work I was working on submissions to some magazines, books, and other places. I also was working on some ideas for my own line of patterns. I have some patterns waiting for me to write as well. On the photo you can see my "disaster area" in the family room that I never fail to reproduce every time I am swatching different stitch patterns from many different yarns. My cat is usually sleeping right next to me on that sofa which shows how old she is now. The yarn used to drive her crazy and I was not able to work with her in the room. But now she does not care unless it is right in her face. All the books you see are the collections of stitch patterns. Once I decide that I like the combination of stitches I swatched (that could take days), I make a sketch of the design that incorporates this combination. Sometimes a swatch changes my original plan and I go with my inspiration from that swatch. Talking to different designers about their creative process or inspirations, I see that for the same person each design started in a different way. I definitely feel that way. Although it is a lot of work to finalize your decision on how you propose a design for a publication, I love this part of the design process.
I will give an example using my Dolce Slouch submission. This is my swatch for this hat. And later I drew this picture ( I admit, I am no artist, but I can bring the point across.) By the way, this is a free pattern on the Cascade website. I was told that this hat is very popular and many people are downloading it.

If you read the interviews on my Designer's Studio blog, you will learn about many designers and the ways they come up with their beautiful designs. The next guest will be there soon. I hope you will come back to read it.
Now, I am off to swatch more out of wonderful yarns that I brought from TNNA. I can't wait to get to knit or crochet with it. I promise to show you the yarns in my next post.

No comments: