anchor text

Monday, January 18, 2010

More on TNNA

As I said, it is very hard to describe everything that happened at TNNA in one try. It's just too many things are happening in one weekend. People come there with different expectations and different experiences. I, honestly, do not put my stakes too high up. I want to enjoy it as much as I can and as a result, I do. I think about it as window shopping and getting to know people and companies of this industry.
Last year I paired up with Simona Merchant-Dest, a wonderful and classy designer whose work you find in Vogue, Interweave Knits, Interweave crochet, Knit n' Style, and other places. We liked it very much and did the same this time. I also met Marlaina (Marly) Bird for the first time face-to-face. We knew each other in cyberspace :), but never met before. Marly is a very interesting designer and incredibly productive. It is hard to name all the places where her designs are published for only a year and a half since she started to publish. Marly is not new to knitting and crocheting. She just did not get around to publishing before. She has a very well-known podcast called the Yarn Thing. So, check her website and you will know more about Marly. All three of us got the feeling we knew each other forever. So, here we are: Simona, Marly, and I. As we were walking the show, we saw and met many people. One of them was Tanis Gray, who used to work for Vogue Knitting magazine. She is designing herself now and enjoying what she does. You can see Tanis in the middle on this photo. It was not just for the photo that we smiled. It seems like we did not stop all day. People are very friendly and act like they know you for ages. I do not have photographs, but I have met VĂ©ronik Avery, Melissa Leapman, Cat Bordhi, Kristin Omdahl, and many other designers.
I also took three classes. I like to do that to see other people's teaching style. They are all so different. One class was taught by Gwen Brothers, the other one by famous Cat Bordhi, and the third one by even more famous Lily Chin. Every class was different and all of these people are very good teachers. After my last class with Lily Chin was over, I remembered that I had my camera with me all the time. So, I am sorry that I did not take pictures of other teachers, but I did ask Lily and this is her idea for the pose:) She is great!
I also asked her, Cat, and many other people to participate in my Designer's Studio project. They all loved the idea and are ready to give me their interviews, so keep in tune for that.
Talking about having my camera with me and not taking pictures... I was not thinking most of the time about it (not very me, if you know me well). I stayed in the same hotel with the Ravelry crew. I have met them the day before and was checking out in the morning. Here they were in the lobby of the hotel. I came up to them and talked a little bit. After I left, I immediately thought: that could be the cutest picture of them. Jess and Mary-Heather were sitting on each side of the sofa, Casey was across them in an arm-chair, and Sarah on the other side in a chair. Each one had a blackberry or phone in their hands and they were so involved and cozy, that I still have this image in my head. Well, I missed the opportunity.
I did not tell you everything what went on, but it is time to do some knitting.

No comments: