anchor text

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What's In The Bag For Kids?



This is the last stop for a very fun blog tour that Kara Gott Warner has put together. Bravo, Kara! Good choice of blogs for a very interesting and well done book! This book is designed to provide you with some ideas for small projects which can be done while you are traveling, when you need a quick gift, or when you have a few big projects started and want to relax and get the satisfaction of a small finished one. As you were cruising from blog to blog during this tour, you have learned about many designs included in It's in the Bag. Since my design for this book was a Cozy Hooded Sleeping Sack for a baby, I wanted to take a look at the designs for kids only. My idea for this design came from the experience of using a similar sack when my son was a baby. I loved it. When I took him for a stroll in the baby carriage on a cold day, I was sure that he was warm in that little garment. As you see on this photo it is plenty of room for a baby to move and it is so much better than a blanket which you have to constantly watch since it is not going to stay in place. The front opening is long enough for you to put the baby in without any difficulty. It is a quick and simple knit-in-the-round project with the minimal seaming. You can do it while your baby is taking a nap or is busy with some toys. I hope you will consider making one.
So, let's take a look at more of the delightful designs for kids in this book. There are 11 designs for children, so I will have to skip some of them, sorry.
Bodacious Bobble Hat by Irina Poludnenko is a perfect little project if you want to use your stash. Simple and very playful hat adorned by unexpected bobble tassels that use the colors of the hat. Can you say NO to this?! Next time I am invited to a baby shower, you know what I am bringing:)

Laura Nelkin named her so very cute little girl's dress A-dorable A-line Ruffled Jumper. Need I say more? It just summed it up. This jumper can be worn as a summer dress or as a jumper over a short or long sleeved shirt under it for a colder weather. You can dress it up or dress it down. Just a perfect outfit to take on a trip for your little girl. Schaefer Yarns are wonderful and this one called Lola is no exception. Simply delicious.


Tonal Triangles Kid's Pullover by Amy Marshall is using intarsia color pattern that is suitable for a boy (sizes 2-10), but girls might like it as well. If you never made a sweater, or never worked with this technique, this is a great project for " a first ever". There is no shaping for a sleeve cap or body , so your concentration will be on intarsia and finishing. Even if you are a pro at knitting, this one you will put on your "to make" list. I did.

The next one is the one I could not skip. Diane Zangl's Cable Sampler Baby Blocks. Can you believe it? These are 6" cubes that are soft, squishy and fun. While any baby is going to love playing with them, any knitter will love making them. Never done any cables? Here is a project for you. Try it. You will learn plenty.




Since we are looking at the boy's patterns, here is one by Kara Gott Warner called Nautical Stripes Onesie & Sunhat. The raglan sleeved outfit worked from the top down and in the round. Simple stripe sequence is decorated by sewn little design that finishes the look to a very interesting and unique onesie.

This trio designed by Christine L. Walter named Cute as a Button Baby Set is hard to miss. A gentle, soft, and very baby-like set. It has that classic look which comes to mind when people say something about knitting for a baby. Don't you agree?

So, like I said, there are more designs for kids in this book, but you just have to believe me and take a look at the book yourself. Or... you can WIN A FREE COPY!!! Here is how: Just leave your comment below in the next two weeks with some tip for traveling with kids, knitting while traveling, about a gift for your baby that you appreciated most, or any tip that you just have to share with your fellow knitters. Your name will be entered in a drawing and the winner will have the book in the mail. If you left a comment on the previous post it counts also.

I already have my copy, so here is my tip:
When we traveled with kids, we always had prepared something to do for them. In our "bag" we had some games, books, their favorite toys, and a string for string figures. This is an interesting website with explanations on string games among many other useful tips. Enjoy!

And here is another exciting news. Kara has decided to extend the time for her game. Win a Molly Bag by going to her blog. Go here to learn what do you need to do.

I can't wait for your comments. Have fun winning and reading other posts on the tour, if this is your first stop.
VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!

9 comments:

susiep_45 said...

Faina I left a comment yesterday about traveling with my kids. I taught them both how to knit and crochet. They take their yarn and their needles and make little belts and scarves. They are 8 and 12 years old. I always have a bag ready to travel with knitting magazines, needles, yarn and notions. I replenish it from time to time. Have a lovely weekend!

heather said...

I try to keep a snack bag in my car for trips, always stuff that isn't allowed at home for regular snacks. We take favorite songs to sing along with as well- car dancing and loud off key singing encouraged.

Kitten With a Whiplash said...

My tip for travel knitting is for commuters on public transport. Be considerate of your seat mate. I recently had a lady doing some sort of embroidery for a seat mate. Every stitch resulted in her elbow digging into my ribs. When I said something she got huffy and told me I could just move seats. Not an option as the bus was SRO. I finally just reacted to each poke in a way that jerked her arm and caused her to stab herself on every stitch. I won, but I hated having to stoop to her level. When I called the bus company, the rep was on her side BTW.

One Sheep said...

My knitting-on-the-go tip is to pack bandaids! Bumps can cause pokes, pokes can bleed. Especially if you're using small needles. I had a different tip, but remembered this one when I read the last comment.

MsYarn said...

My advice for traveling while knitting is to be sure you have all the supplies you need to work on your project. I have been on one too many road trips and I come to a point in my project where I have to change needles or or slip stitches to another needle and I don't have one. So I make sure to read the whole pattern through before we leave the house.
Thank you for the chance to win a great book. I'd love to get the chance to flip through it!

sarah said...

Hey Faina,

My tip is for knitters at large:

Don't be afraid! Never be afraid to learn something new. Never let anyone tell you something is beyond your skill level or too much work for the effort! Get out there and try new things! Decide for yourself what you want to do, make, and learn!

Thanks for running this fun contest! :)

Rita said...

When I used to travel with my children (the youngest is now 15) we would play 20 questions. Except we never stopped at 20 questions, our goal was to discover what the person was thinking of. We could only ask questions that could be answered with yes, no, or I don't know. My children got quite creative (like the left nostril of Albert Einstein). It kept the children busy whether we were waiting for a bus or traveling cross country.

Sandy said...

What adorable children's clothes

Wendy said...

Beautiful designs! I would love to win this book!