anchor text

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Our Move to Stanford

I was not blogging for a while not because there was nothing to say. Oh no! I had no time and my hands were so sore that I could not type or knit. It is hard to believe, but it is true. After packing, cleaning, tying the ties on thousands of plastic bags and unpacking in our new place in Stanford, my hands were asking for a break. So, here is the update.
We moved to Stanford, CA for 6 months. My husband is a mathematician and he has a visiting professor position at Stanford university. He is teaching one upper-division class to 20 very advanced and eager students. The students ask him questions and ask for more material to read... You understand that this is a music to a professor's ear. He is doing his research on top of it and he is as happy as he can be. Here is the building of the math department where he "lives" these days from 8am-6pm.
The history of this place is as fascinating as its legacy in our civilization. In this building alone the history of modern mathematics is present and alive. Most prominent mathematicians of our time either visited, worked or still working here. If you would like to read about the history of this university, go to this page. This interesting note is from the Stanford archives and Wikipedia:
" For what it is worth, there was a book written by the then Harvard president's son that may have started the twist on actual events. Leland Stanford Junior was just short of his 16th birthday when he died of typhoid fever in Florence, Italy on March 13, 1884. He had not spent a year at Harvard before his death, nor was he "accidentally killed." Following Leland Junior's death, the Stanfords determined to found an institution in his name that would serve the "children of California." Detained on the East Coast following their return from Europe, the Stanfords visited a number of universities and consulted with the presidents of each. The account of their visit with Charles W. Eliot at Harvard is actually recounted by Eliot himself in a letter sent to David Starr Jordan (Stanford's first president) in 1919. At the point the Stanfords met with Eliot, they apparently had not yet decided about whether to establish a university, a technical school or a museum. Eliot recommended a university and told them the endowment should be $5 million. Accepted accounts indicate that Jane and Leland looked at each other and agreed they could manage that amount. The thought of Leland and Jane, by this time quite wealthy, arriving at Harvard in a faded gingham dress and homespun threadbare suit is quite entertaining. And, as a former governor of California and well-known railroad baron, they likely were not knowingly kept waiting for too long outside Eliot's office. The Stanfords also visited Cornell, MIT and Johns Hopkins. The Stanfords established two institutions in Leland Junior's name -- the University and the Museum, which was originally planned for San Francisco, but moved to adjoin the university."

And what about me? I am having such a good time walking everywhere and enjoying my time off work. On my daily two-hour walk I pass this Rodin sculptures. There are many of them in the Stanford museum. By the way it is a great little museum and it is free. As I continue walking, this is what I see through the ark - the famous Oval.
And as I come out of this court yard, I am facing the Palm Drive that leads to the center of Palo Alto. The weather is beautiful and I am planning to enjoy every moment of my stay here. Come and visit me.
There are many exciting knitting news that I want to share with you, but I want to talk about them in the next post.



2 comments:

Diane in Chico said...

Good luck, Faina. You're going to love it there. I spent my growing up years in that area and still have fond memories....

We'll miss you.

Faina Goberstein said...

Thank you, Diane. It is so much to do here.