anchor text

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Back From TNNA

I do not know where to start. It was so much more fun than I expected. I made many new friends, saw people I new through e-mail only, was able to touch and see so many new and exciting yarns, books, and designs. Too bad we were not allowed to take pictures of the show, but I have some that I took outside. First of all San Diego is as beautiful as ever. The temperature was 77-79 degrees. Many people came from the East Coast and the Midwest, so for them it was especially enjoyable. None of us could really enjoy it for much of the time. I was staying at the hotel Sofia. It is about 10 min walk from the Convention Center. Here is what I saw on my way.


















I had to take a picture of this beautiful old hotel. The lady stopped and said: "They say the ghosts are still there..." I guess there is a story I was not aware of.
















The TNNA show was at the Convention Center at the shore.














At the show I had a book signing in the booth of our publishing company Martingale. I was happy to do this and see that people really liked our book. I just wished Dawn was with me to share it.
































Before and after my book signing I switched the roles with people in line and got some books signed by authors. One of them is the fabulous “Glam Knits” by Stefanie Japel.













The other one is called “Knit One Below” by Elise Duvekot.












Edie Eckman’s “Beyond The Square Crochet Motifs” was a special treat for me since Edie was showing me that book in July in her hometown in VA.
This time we had great conversations in the mornings on the way to the show. You can learn so much from Edie. You talk to her and know that she is a great teacher. Her books are very clear and approachable.

Margaret Radcliffe's new book The Essential Guide to Color Knitting Techniques is another one I wanted, but missed her book signing time. I already ordered it on Amazon. She is a very warm person and very helpful. We talked for a good half-hour with her while resting. I am happy to make this contact.

I also took a class from Stefanie Japel and got tons of ideas for my new designs. She is smart, fun, and very friendly. I am so glad that I met her.

I had a chat with the editor of Interweave Knits a lovely and fun Eunny Jang, Norah Gaughan who is the director of the design team at Berroco yarns and is my idol as a knitwear designer, Jess and Casey the Ravelry "parents", Little London and his mom Kara Gott Warner who is the author of two books (one of them is Tops & Toes: A Whimsical Collection To Delight Hat and Sock Knitters.) to which I contributed my designs, Kristi Porter whose book "Knitting in the Sun" is coming out in May with one of my designs in it, and many other people.

Very talented designer Simona Merchant-Dest was one of the people I knew through the e-mail. We went to the designer/teacher meeting at 8 am on Saturday and walked the show together for the rest of our stay there. It was great to meet her face to face and we quickly became good friends.

First night I went to dinner with my other new friend Olga, the owner of T-SPOT Yarn, Teas and Chocolates in Manzanita, OR. On Saturday night Simona and I went to my favorite SD restaurant called Bandar. Next night we had no time to eat and went for drinks to the "Meet & Greet" organized by Kara at the Top of the Hyatt. We had such a great time with the designers from Kara's book. Laura Nelkin, designer of Nelkin Designs, and design director of Schaefer Yarn was there. I was very happy to meet her. We ordered drinks. Simona saved me with her Zone bar (that was my dinner) before I got drunk on an empty stomach.

Monday was much more relaxing. I left the show at 1 pm to catch my flight. When I came home I could not stop talking. Next day I took a four-hour walk to unwind. I think I am calm now.
Back to work and my real life. It is impossible to say how valuable it was for me to go to TNNA in terms of a business of designing, but it is priceless for me in terms of new friendships...

No comments: