anchor text

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My two cents on the knitwear design.

It is almost the end of May. This is the last week of school and the summer officially begins for me. I am planning to knit and design every day. Something I love and cannot do during the semester. I have been designing knitwear for most of my life, but I am new to publishing my designs. I was very surprised to see that to custom design and to design for a publication is not the same. Even designing for a publication can be divided into two big categories:
1. Writing a book as an author or co-author.
2. Submitting your design for a book of another author or for a magazine.

I am not an expert by any means, but here is my observation on this. The process that takes place in each of these categories is different at the very root of the design. When you are writing a book, you have your vision of the result and the excitement of the whole process. Two years ago Dawn and I started to plan Casual, Elegant Knits. We had a great time designing, knitting, writing, and doing all other parts of the book. We could see the flow of patterns in our minds and our choices for the textures and colors were influenced by the themes in our collections. Of course, there was no guarantee that the publishers will feel the same looking at our proposal. We feel very lucky that our book was accepted by Martingale &Co .

Submitting a design to a magazine or a book is like a puzzle. It is quite a challenge to come up with the design that will be accepted. You have many restrictions from the start point. It could be a specific yarn, season, techniques, etc. It is interesting in a different way from writing a book. If the piece of the puzzle you produce fits with all the pieces only editors see, your design is chosen.

In my opinion, you have to love both categories and have much fun with it. If you are getting upset with every rejection of your design, it is not for you.

No comments: